Monday, February 26, 2007

The-not-so-modern Tate Modern

This is my 4th year in London and I've yet to visit Tate Modern which was created in year 2000. So I've decided to visit this modern art gallery with Johanna, via the Millennium Bridge, yet another icon in London yet to be explored by myself.

We got off the tube at St. Paul's Station. Johanna has brought along the Canon Powershot S2 IS camera. Some flowers have bloomed in the flower bed outside St. Paul's Cathedral. The usual cloudy and gloomy weather made it difficult to take good shots of anything around.




Johanna's attempts at St. Paul's Cathedral


We proceed to Tate Modern across the Millennium Bridge a while later. Finally I've set foot on this infamous bridge - wobbly when it was first launch due to poor construction.


I took this shot of Johanna from Millennium Bridge


St. Paul's Cathedral from the South end of Millennium Bridge

The building which housed Tate Modern looks more like an old boring factory rather an art gallery, especially a modern one.

As expected, we saw a few giant slides in the vast hall of the gallery, something which excited Johanna, but not me. Yi Duan has told me about these slides few months' back, which was one of the reasons why I wanted to bring Johanna here, as she loves speed and height, especially when combined. However the queue was so long that we decided not to try it out in the end.


One of the giant slides, photo taken by Johanna using tungsten WB preset

We strolled through the exhibition halls one by one, attempting to see what was on offer. In the end we've decided that modern art is not for us. So I guess that was going to be our last visit for a long long time.

2 comments:

YD said...

Actually, it IS some sort a "factory". The building was converted from a power station into an art gallery. It was formerly known as Bankside Power Station before being converted on 2000.

I still feel the shudders when I walk into the dark gloomy hall a few times back. Wonder how it would be like in the past.

Anonymous said...

What's this? Johanna loves speed and height especially when combined? hehehe... never knew that yeah...

rosie xoxo