Sunday, January 11, 2009

Yet Another New Toy



I'm very happy to purchase my 2nd new toy within a month. This time around it's the Canon EFS20-180mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens. After going from shop to shop, I've finally managed to track down one which is still sold at the old price (before Aussie Dollar crashed against the US Dollar).

So excited that I immediately went out to test it out at Port Melbourne. Johanna also came along to test out her Christmas pressie - Canon Powershot SX110 IS.


Port Melbourne Tram Stop


The benefit of this lens is I'll most likely need to carry only this lens along for travels. The downside is of course the lower quality output to compromise such large range in focal length. Also the maximum aperture is only f3.5 and f5.6 respectively at f3.5 and f5.6, doubt that I could take good photos indoors and under low light condition. However, having a 11x zoom is something that I've been missing since the demise of my Canon Powershot S2 which has a 12x zoom.

Here are some of the shots I've taken at Port Melbourne with particular focus on the 11x zoom.


Taken at 18mm


200mm version of the photo above. Still very sharp.


Taken at 18mm


200mm version of the photo above. Try spotting for the Campari logo in the 18mm version.


Taken at 18mm


35mm version of the photo above. Wish the partially cut out bird is not there (right most).


Taken at 18mm


200mm version of the photo above. Try spotting the birds in the 18mm version.


200mm f/5.6. I like the bokeh effect produced.


Nice apartments at Port Melbourne. Reminds us of Glenelg in Adelaide




I was shocked to see the lines on the ground at first. Thought the barrel distortion is so bad. Luckily the lines are really like that.


Tram to Port Melbourne - 109



I've already had my next toy in mind - EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM. Maybe in a few months time.

1 comment:

Brian Lim said...

great stuff! after wide angle, the next one would be macro!