Monday, January 16, 2006

I was quite amused to read the headlines in the Star - 'Shortcut' to licence yesterday.

Some excerpts from the article.

An undercover investigation by The Star reveals that some driving schools offer learners an easy passage to obtaining a licence by paying under-table money.

JPJ has, meanwhile, denied such claims and asked for reports and evidence.

Said JPJ director-general Datuk Emran Kadir: “It is illegal to ask for duit kopi. I’ve said it so many times already. These are all cases of cheating.

“Give me the names of these driving schools. I will take action.”

I'm amused that the Star only found out this ongoing practice now. I'm even more amused when JPJ Director denied everything and instead of investigating his own staff, chose to take action against driving schools involved. As usual the wrong people will be responsible - just like the nude ear squat case where the editor who brought this issue public resigned instead of the police chief.

Coming back to the 'common' practice to obtain driving licence. Majority of Malaysians who has obtained driving licence are fully aware of this giving 'duit kopi' practice which comes in all sort of forms. I've some friends who claimed that in certain JPJ branches, one will never pass one's driving test without giving bribe. Some honest citizens have tried to stay clean only to give up in the end after finding out that money and not skill is the only way to obtain driving licence. During my schooling days, everyone in my class are well aware of this practice in certain JPJ branch near our district. Even the illiterate can pass the 'undang-undang' test.

The cycle continues - Corruption within government agencies gets reported, party involved will be in denial, bloggers like me blog about it, MPs promise to investigate, the results will never be known and things will be back as it is and everyone will forget about it until the next discovery/complaint/incident.

No comments: