Sunday, August 07, 2005

Inflation!

Yet another small evidence of inflation arising from the hike in fuel prices.

On a lazy Saturday afternoon, I suddenly craved for my favourite rojak buah-buahan and tao foo fah. Hence my wife and I drove to the nearest stalls selling the delicacies. Upon reaching the rojak stall, I was shocked to see the prices - small RM2.70, big RM3.70. From my memory, large was only RM3.00 two months ago! Nevertheless, to please myself once in a while, I proceed to buy the big one. I also noted that the price of tao foo fah has also increased from RM1.20 to RM1.30. Inflation rate of 3.2% in June as reported by Bank Negara Malaysia? Definitely does not apply for hawker food. From past experience, every fuel price increase will spark off around 10% increase in food price. To the man on the street, the inflation rate he is exposed to might be much higher than the inflation rate reported by Bank Negara. Businessmen can always try to increase the prices of their products and services, leaving only the wage earners to sulk, as their salaries might have not been reviewed for the last 10 years!

No comments: