Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Buying camera: Which one to choose?

After my 3-year relationship with Canon Powershot S30, I think it's time for me to shop around for a replacement.

With so many models in the market, it is really a tough choice to make.

First of all, I'm looking forward for a camera which is not too expensive and not too difficult to use as I'm neither a professional nor a die-hard camera lover. However, I do love taking good shots once in a while when I'm on holiday or during events like weddings or gaterings. I also want a camera which can produce boke effect.

After few days of research, I've limited my choices to 3 models from Canon. Why Canon? I guess I'm happy with what Powershot S30 has been providing me for the past 3 years.

The 3 models I'm comtemplating: - Powershot S2 IS, Powershot Pro 1 and EOS 350D.

Powershot S2 IS
5 megapixel
12x optical zoom
Lens: 36 (W) – 432 (T) mm, shift-type image stabilizer system


EOS 350D
8 megapixel
Powershot Pro 1
8 megapixel
7x optical zoom
Lens: 7.2(W) - 50.8(T)mm (28 - 200 mm)

So which one should I choose? Can the two prosumer cameras (S2 IS and Pro 1) produce boke effect? I would prefer to buy a prosumer than a DSLR for few reasons - price, hassle of carrying DSLR accessories and the complexity of operating it.

No comments: