Monday, June 19, 2006

Proton Satria Neo

Proton finally launched its much anticipated SRM - Proton Satria Neo.

Johanna and I managed to have a look at the new models (1.3 and 1.6) in Proton's Platinum Showroom in Mutiara Damansara.
From the appearance, I could feel that there is a lot of improvement from previous models such as Gen.2 and Savvy. The front view spot a very Gen.2 look - the same intimidating look and feel. I find the tiger-eye-design headlamps a bit small though. The alloy wheels for the 1.6 models look great. The most improved area would be the interior design. Proton finally dropped the awful cream color interior and opt for grey instead. The new colour really work wonders. The control buttons look so much better than the cheap look on Gen.2. The minimalist design suits the sporty look and feel of the car. But the door handle and door knob are the same as Gen.2, the same cheap and flimsy look and feel. Proton has finally decided to fit a cover for the glove compartment, but the glove compartment is still to tiny in my opinion. As usual the rear seating space is quite small. But then most who would buy sporty hatches would rarely have passengers in the rear seats.
We didn't manage to test drive the car, hence I wouldn't be able to comment on handling and performance, not that I really know how to comment on these areas.

Overall this new model looks impressive. There is a lot of improvement from Gen.2 and Savvy. Looks like Proton is improving and I hope the reliability will not be a letdown.

I hope this is the turning point for Proton.

No comments: